WWE’s Ludwig Kaiser Cleared to Travel After Battery Arrest

WWE star Ludwig Kaiser, arrested last week on a Florida battery charge, has been cleared to keep traveling internationally for an AAA mask match in Mexico.

WWE star Ludwig Kaiser, arrested last week on a Florida battery charge, has been cleared to keep traveling internationally for an AAA mask match in Mexico.

Ludwig Kaiser, the WWE star whose recent battery arrest in Florida threatened to disrupt a high-profile lucha libre match, has been cleared to keep traveling internationally and resumed promotional appearances in Mexico on Friday.

Kaiser, whose real name is Marcel Barthel, was arrested Wednesday in Orange County, Florida on a misdemeanor battery charge. He was booked, released on $1,000 bond, and entered a not-guilty plea through his attorney.

The case stems from an April 23 incident at the Orlando apartment building where Kaiser lives. Per a police report, Kaiser and his girlfriend, Andrea Bazarte, were sharing an elevator with a male neighbor and became, in the affidavit’s wording, uncontrollably intimate. After all three exited at the 12th floor, the neighbor asked the couple to please have some manners.

What happened next is contested. TMZ’s summary of the police affidavit and security footage says Kaiser punched the neighbor multiple times, shoved him to the floor, and threatened him. Responding officers documented a large, fresh scratch on the alleged victim’s head.

Wrestling Inc.’s Raj Giri offered a competing account. In a post on X, Giri said his sources described a verbal exchange in which the neighbor allegedly threatened to call ICE on Bazarte; Kaiser then had a brief scuffle with the neighbor outside the elevator, but no punches were thrown.

The matter is now in court. F4WOnline’s walk-through of the bond conditions and arrest paperwork details the restrictions imposed: no contact with the alleged victim, no firearm, no alcohol to intoxication, no controlled substances outside of a prescription, and separate residences from the neighbor.

Kaiser, who had been in Mexico for AAA-related work when he learned of the warrant on May 19, flew back to Orlando the next day and turned himself in. He has since filed a Motion to Travel through his attorney, citing the international demands of his job.

Florida’s Assistant State Attorney Shaylynne Kotch indicated no objection to the travel request, per court records. Cageside Seats reported the AAA promotion advertised Kaiser for a Friday night appearance at the Kings League Dome in Mexico City hours later, suggesting the travel approval was effectively in place.

The appearance had originally been scheduled for Thursday but was canceled after the arrest. It was rebooked for Friday and went forward, with Kaiser appearing in his El Grande Americano mask to promote his upcoming mask-versus-mask match against Chad Gable, the original El Grande Americano.

That match, billed as the main event of AAA’s Noche de los Grandes, is scheduled for May 30 in Monterrey. WWE acquired AAA in April 2025, and the El Grande Americano arc has been the most consistent crossover storyline between the two promotions since.

Kaiser’s most recent WWE appearance was a Trios Tornado match on the May 18 Raw in Greensboro. He’s a 35-year-old German wrestler who came up through the European indie circuit before signing with WWE.

The mask comes off, or it doesn’t, in Monterrey on May 30. A trial date for the battery charge has not yet been set.

priya.anand portrait
Priya Anand

Priya Anand is The Glenview Lantern's film and streaming critic. She has reviewed more than 400 feature releases since 2020 and serves on the Chicago Film Critics Association ballot. Her byline has appeared in IndieWire, Polygon, and The Ringer. A graduate of NYU Tisch (2018), Priya is based in Chicago and writes a weekly streaming column for The Lantern.

Articles: 54

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *